Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Racism


     Racism is a terrible, terrible, terrible, thing. Hopefully I have hit this thought home. I think it in no way should influence a person being entered into a country club, getting a job, or doing anything else they want to in life. What I do think however, is that we as a country are a bit over reactionary to racism. In a country the size and prowess the United States, of course there are going to be individual people who hold prejudices against others, just like there are in all countries across the world. Is it truly so bad here though? Do we not have a president that is a minority? Is He is not loved and coddled by almost all forms of media because if you do not like him, you are or have the potential to be equated as a racist? This is not fair. I have unwisely been a part of discussions in varying places where I have named my dislike for the current President, and this very thing has happened. I then go on to remind these individuals that I would like to be a missionary, preferably in Africa where most would agree a lot of Black people live. I am from a part of the country lacking a bit in the area of enlightenment, and though I have undoubtedly seen some raging cases of ignorance and intolerance, this is hardly the case in a Southeastern Alabama farming community, and is not looked upon in favor by the communities Caucasians as well as minorities. Why should every case of an African American being arrested or the recipient of lethal force make the headlines as a bigot policeman oppressing a minority? Is this always the case? Racism is bad, and I hope for a day where this does not occur, but let us not go overboard with it…

1 comment:

  1. I agree racism is terrible, and I am sure Dan has a little more exposure to it as he is from the South where it is customary to grasp more from the Southern roots, than in Ohio. In no way am I calling Dan racist or Alabama in general racist, I'm saying that their are more racist people in Alabama than Ohio. And we both think racism is terrible no one should be treated any different or thought about any differently because of the color of their skin but they should be treat on their character and how they treat other people. And usually racist people have very low character and are not very educated people and they should be the ones society is persecuting not blacks/other races.

    ReplyDelete